Saturday, July 17, 2010

Taking the animals to the Nature Center

Saturdays this month have been free at the Ogden Nature Center so I decided to take the rugrats there.

Don't you love this picture of sibling love?  Brenna trying to hold Ian and he's not wanting anything to do with it.  So much for getting a cute picture of them together.
 
As you walk on the path to the visitor's center they have all sorts of birdhouses.  These were a few I liked. 


When we were looking at the birds of prey exhibit this guy came over with a peregrine falcon ( I think that's what it was).  They had just finished a presentation and he stopped to show the kids.  Of course he had it hooded so it wouldn't get scared.
After we walked around for a bit it was time for our lunch.  What's lunch without a little live entertainment? 
This turkey was wandering around the grounds and decided it wanted to try to join our picnic.  Of course Brenna is my fraidy cat and was scared of it, but only after she had fun throwing her bread crusts to it to eat.

Ian decided he wanted to play tag with the turkey.  He has so much fun running around the grass chasing the turkey.  I have heard a lot of stories about turkeys having heart attacks when they're chased so I was hoping (I know it's evil of me) to see it happen with this one. I guess this one is used to being chased. 

Before our picnic, Brenna's friend Eleanor joined up with us.  This Brenna's best friend.  She just lives a few doors down from us and Brenna is always asking to play with her.  She is a sweet girl!  I'm hoping they'll be in the same kindergarten class next year.  If not, I guess we always the walk to and from school together =).
Ian's favorite part wad by the desert tortoise cage....a big pile of big rocks!!  He was in heaven.  He tried to bring the rocks with him.  He wouldn't leave the pile.  I even tried walking away and telling him "bye, see you later," (which usually gets him to come with me) but he just sat there merrily playing with rocks.  Really kid?  you have more fun playing with rocks, then all the toys in your room combined!

There were a few exhibits inside and Ian was fascinated with the snakes.  He kept running to the cage and pointing and saying "ssssss."   If I wasn't paying attention he would yell at me until I acknowledged the snake.  Hopefully he won't have the same fascination if he sees a snake outside.

They had a little craft for the kids to do.  They got take some paper and make bark rubbings and then make a frame out of it.  Brenna loved it but Ian didn't quite know what to do. 

I snapped a quick picture of me and my little guy while I was trying to keep him occupied and to keep him from destroying everything.  It was way after nap time and he was in destruct-o-mode, which is what happens when he's tired and not wanted to slow down because he's afraid he'll fall asleep.  He was asleep before we even pulled out of the parking lot when we left.
The kids had a fun time, but I think I need to go back when it's a bit cooler and explore the rest of the place.  It was humid and muggy so I didn't go very far.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Whenever I read blogs, I always feel like there is so much to do in Ogden that is cheap. Now I know why none of my friends really moved away ;)

You look hot in the last picture by the way! ;)