Monday, July 6, 2009

4th of July Fun

We had a pretty fun 4th this year. Morgan was doing a mini carnival so I took Brenna and Ian to it. The main thing I wanted to go to was the "Scales and Tails" shows. They show various types of creepy crawlies, snakes, and lizards. Brenna is usually scared of things like this but I wanted her to see them in a good light so she wouldn't freak out so much whenever she sees things like this. During the show they had the little kids sit right in front of the guy, but of course Brenna is a bit of a scaredy cat so she wouldn't sit in front. She thought it was cool when he brought out the big tarantula, she's as scared of spiders, even big hairy ones. She thought it was funny when he put a big black scorpion in his mouth. He brought out a few lizards, a bearded dragon and a monitor lizard. Then the fun began.....he brought out the snakes.








He brought a few pythons that were really cool, but the best was the huge one, I think it was a reticulated python. It took 7 kids and one adult to hold this thing and it wasn't even stretched out.




Afterwards they let the kids come up and pet the snake. I thought my little girl wouldn't even want to get near it but after a little convincing she finally gave it a pat....and she liked it!!! She thought it was so cool that she got to pet the big huge snake. I was so proud of her for overcoming her fear!!!!!!

Then we moved on to more gentle animals and she got to hold a cute little bunny. She loved the bunny...maybe one day when we have our own place she can have a pet bunny. It was a fun way to spend the morning.
We then went home and pigged out on sloppy joes (which I made a homemade sauce for and they were super yummy!!!) took naps, and then got ready to go light off fireworks and watch the city ones.
Ian slept through all the fireworks, but he liked watching them when we were lighting them off.
Brenna overcame her fear of sparklers and had fun playing with them. She had a little spark land on her foot and we told her an ant bit her so that she wouldn't be scared of the sparklers again...she got burnt by one last year and didn't want anything to do with them after so we wanted to avoid that whole situation again.








My aunt came down with my cousin's little boy, Jayden (yes, that's my nephew's name too). He is a cute kid. He was born in October and he is about the same size as Ian, but about 8 pounds heavier, although he doesn't look it. It was my first time seeing him. He looks just like his daddy (my cousin Skyler). Ian liked trying play with him....or maybe he just thought it was another fun thing to try and grab.






If anyone else went to the Morgan fireworks, was it just me or were they a lot shorter and kinda lame this year? I know we're in a recession and they probably didn't have as much funding for the fireworks...but it was still kinda lame. I guess that's because we usually like to watch the people lighting the fireworks scramble when one gets misfired or explodes....very entertaining. Since there weren't as many fireworks we didn't get to that as much. Oh well....it was still a fun day to spend with family.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Sounds like the fourth was a day for Brenna to conquer her fears. LOL. Sometimes I wish Anna was afraid of creepy crawly things - she wants to touch and play with spiders and bugs all the time. I try not to pass my distaste for them onto her. That is a pretty fun thing for the kids to do - way to go Morgan ;) Glad you guys had a good holiday!