Saturday, June 25, 2011

Another milestone reached =)


My goal for this summer was to get Brenna riding a bike without training wheels.  I figured it would take most the summer to accomplish.  She is such a fraidy-cat at new things, but once she can get over that initial little bump, it becomes the coolest thing ever.  I thought it would take her a while to get over the "bump."  Then one day, she saw her friend, Olivia, who is younger than her, riding her bike all over without training wheels.  Brenna made up her mind that she was going to do it too. 
(this was one of her first attempts, no pedaling)

It started with her just sitting on the bike and pushing off with her feet to get her balance.  She did this for a couple days and then one day while we were outside practicing, she decided to put her feet on the petals as she was coasting and try to petal.. This was all on her own, I wasn't pushing her to try it yet.  She did a few turns before losing her balance.  Then, the next day she wanted to practice some more and I was in the middle of doing something so I couldn't help her so she went out on her own.  Then she comes running inside, all excited.  "Mom! I can ride all by myself now!"  I was thinking, okay, she made it past the neighbors while pedaling.  So I went out to watch her and she was riding up and down the street, turning around while pedaling and was even steering! (the day before she kept running into curbs because she couldn't steer).  Now she has spent her every moment outside riding her bike, up and down the street.  She loves it!  Especially since all the other kids in the neighborhood ride their bikes around and she was feeling left out before.  I knew once she got over her fear of falling over she would do just fine.  So from the time I started working with her until now, it has been maybe a week, but she didn't try every day.  I think it only took her about 3 or 4 days of trying to get it down, and on those days she only did it for about 15 minutes before she would get frustrated and stop.  Now I can't get her off the thing!!


Of course, Ian is not one to be left out.  Every time Brenna goes out, he gets his "motorcycle" out and rides up and down the street with the rest of the kids (of course I'm out with him).  He thinks he is sooooo studly riding around.

No comments: