Sunday, May 22, 2011

*Sniff* My Little girl is growing up!

Brenna graduated from kindergarten on Friday, which happened to be her birthday too!
This was a bittersweet day for me.  She turned 6 years old, and she's ready for 1st grade.  Where has the time gone!!  I can't believe she is already 6!  Where is the pause button, or at least a slowdown button so she'll stop growing so fast. 
 I love this girl to death!  She is a smarty pants and a sweetheart.  She has learned so much at school this past year.  She comes home and tells me all about the Revolutionary War, Civil War, Abraham Lincoln, Franklin D. Roosevelt, the Mona Lisa, etc.  When did they start teaching kindergartners this stuff?!  She is also reading very well now.  She reads anything she can get her hands on and is loving Junie B. Jones.  she reads a page or two at a time and is working her way through it.  I know I wasn't reading stuff like that at her age.  I hope she inherited my love of reading and keeps it up.  She is also doing good at writing, but unfortunately she inherited my sloppy handwriting.  Poor girl!
She is such a great big sister to Ian.  As soon as she gets home from school, they take off together and go play.  She loves to play school with him and she has helped me teach him to count.  Sometimes he gets up to 17, but for some reason he skips 3 every time he counts.  What a nerd.  Brenna is such a big helper too.  She is responsible for cleaning her own room, helping with the downstairs bathroom, and the downstairs playroom/family room.  She never complains about cleaning....as long as it's not her room.  She would rather clean the bathroom than clean her room.  Crazy girl!  she loves to be outside, especially when it involves the trampoline, otter pops, and friends. 
She can be such a drama queen though!  She is stubborn, sassy, spirited, and a stinker!  She has an attitude, and definitely knows how to use it.  She lets us know when we do something wrong, or if we forget to do something we had promised to do.  her and her dad are constantly butting heads because she is so sassy.  She is definitely a mommy's girl. 
I love my sweet girl!  I wouldn't have her any other way.  I have been so blessed to be able to have this special girl as my daughter.  I guess I must have done something right to deserve her.  We hear in church that people living today were reserved for this time and I think the reason I am here is so that I could be the mom to this valiant girl (and of course her brother =)  )  She already has such a strong testimony  of the gospel and  loves to share it.  She stands up for what she knows is right and tries to teach others about Jesus, both through her actions and by telling them.  I know she is going to a great missionary in this gospel and pray that she never wavers.  She provides such a great example to me of what it truly means to "become like a little child."  I hope that as she grows up we can stay close and become more than just mother and daughter.  She knows how to cheer me up.  She gives the best hugs and kisses around! I love you Brenna Kay Hansen!!! 

This is Brenna and her teacher, Mrs. Mikkelson.  She is such a great teacher!!  I was worried about Brenna adjusting when we moved in the middle of the school year, but since she had such a wonderful teacher, there were very few issues.  She is always telling me how bright Brenna is and how glad she is to have her in her class.   At Brenna's old school, I felt like they weren't challenging her and that she wasn't really learning anything new.  Once we moved and she got into her new class, I was amazed at how fast she was learning and how much.  Mrs. Mikkelson said Brenna was in her top reading group and already doing stuff at a 1st grade level.  she also reassured me that just because Brenna had already accomplished the stuff they need to learn in kindergarten that she wasn't going to let her stop, she would keep finding things for her to do.  She loves school and learning.  I hope she keeps that love because it will take her far and she will be able to accomplish so much in her life.  I just asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up and she said she wanted to be a mom and a teacher at school. 
All-in-all, I'm a pretty lucky mom to have such a great daughter.  so I have to rub it in your faces.....My daughter is better than yours =)  (I'm  her mom so of course I have bragging rights)

1 comment:

The Hodsons said...

That is such a sweet post about your daughter!!