Monday, August 29, 2011

Living Planet Aquarium

Since both Jason and Brenna were going to be heading back to school, we wanted to do one last family thing.  I had originally planned on going swimming but we changed our minds.  I had been wanting to go the aquarium for awhile, but didn't really want to drive clear to Sandy for it, but since I wasn't driving, it worked out =)

This was a little pond with a few little fish and some bull frogs.  The frogs were hiding and it was tricky finding them, but Ian loved it!
They had a stingray and shark petting tank.  Since Ian had already petted(is that a word?) the stingrays at the fair, he was an old pro at this.  Brenna, of course, wouldn't get near them.  I even got to pet a shark =)

They had some starfish, horseshoe crabs, and a couple other things that you could pet.  Ian went through the line twice and touched every one.  Brenna wouldn't come near it.

But Brenna did love seeing all the fish and was plastered to the glass.  She loved seeing the giant octopus.  My pictures of it didn't turn out but she thought it was pretty cool.


Since it was so dark inside there, and I was just using my phone, the pictures aren't that great.  This was Brenna at one of her favorites, the seahorses.  They had a bunch of different kinds.

I had to snap a pic with my favorite girl =)  love her to death!!

Sorry for the lack of pictures, for some reason a bunch of them didn't get copied over and they're not on my memory card anymore.  Not that they were that great of pictures to begin with, but there were some of the penguins, octopus, electric eel, caiman, and piranhas   
With the electric eel, they had something hooked up to the tank that would show you how much a charge it would emit.  At first, it felt more like a vibrations, but the more noise you made near the eel, the more agitated it became and the more electricity it gave off and then you got a pretty good zap.
We got to watch them feed the octopus, which was neat.  the octopus would wrap it's tentacle around the hand of the person and play for a bit then it would go after the fish.  I think it would be pretty neat to play with an octopus =)  Then we got to watch them feed the penguins.  They were swimming and diving everywhere.  The kids liked watching them swim really fast.  
They has all sorts of exhibits.  Jason really wanted to watch them feed the piranhas....but i don't think they would do that in front of people, but I have to admit, it would be cool to watch.  Ian liked seeing the caiman, which is kind of like a mini crocodile.  For some reason he has become fascinated with alligators and crocodiles lately.
I was disappointed in the sharks.  I thought they would have more but all they had were a few reef sharks,  think a leopard shark and a hammerhead.
I liked the scorpions that were black, and then you switched on the black light and they were purple.  Jason had told me that scorpions did that, but I had never seen it before.  It was also neat to see the giant anaconda snake.

It was pretty fun to go spend some time together as a family.  The kids were literally running from tank to tank.  They were so excited to see everything.  I think I would take the kids again, but only if i could find some discount coupons or something because $8 per person is a little steep for me.  Remember, I'm a cheapskate =)

No comments: